Passing urine. It’s a vital bodily function and one we can’t live without doing. For most of us, it’s not even something we think about. Until, that is, you need to remove urine smells and stains from your carpet and furniture.
It’s then you realise just how problematic it can be to have urine go anywhere except in the toilet! But things are not as bad as they may seem. We’ve put together a few great home remedies you can use to remove urine smells and stains from your home.
It’s important to test all of these tips on a small area which is not very noticeable first, just in case they make things worse!
How to Remove Urine Stains & Odours From Your Mattress
You will need four magical items for this trick. An empty spray bottle, white vinegar, baking soda and old rags.
- First blot the wet area on your mattress to remove any excess urine.
- Next spray the vinegar liberally over the area and leave it to sit for around five to ten minutes.
- Using the rags, blot up the vinegar. You may need to use several layers of paper towels if you have not got absorbent rags.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the mattress and let it sit there for two to three hours. The baking soda cakes up the vinegar, removing the fluid and the smell.
- Vacuum up the baking soda. If there are still stains, repeat again with the vinegar and rub it in for a short time. Then repeat the remaining steps again.
Removing Urine Stains from Furniture
A wet nappy, a new kitten or a heavily sleeping dog can leave little accidents on your furniture. If you are trying to find a way to remove urine smells and stains from your upholstery, here’s a great tip to try:
- Blot the stain with a dry cloth or paper towel.
- Mix two cups of cold water with one tablespoon of dishwashing liquid and one tablespoon of vinegar.
- Sponge the stain with the mixture.
- Blot the area until it is dry. Repeat until the stain has gone.
Getting Rid of Urine Smells in Carpets
If there is urine from a cat or kid on your carpet, here is something you can try to remove the smell:
- Wet the area of carpet with the urine with some water to dilute the urine.
- Place a towel over the area and stand on it to soak up the water and urine.
- Spray a pet urine cleaning solution over the area according to the directions on the bottle.
Or you could try a mixture of baking soda and vinegar like we mentioned above in the mattress cleaning tip.
Don’t forget we have some amazing products which help prevent urine reaching your furniture, mattress and carpet. Our Waterproof Bedding Range* is perfect for kids and adults, with our Waterproof Kids Car Seat Protector** being great for trips out and about. To keep your furniture or car seats clean and dry, our range of pet protection products*** are great!
Good luck with your cleaning!
* Order from our waterproof bedding range:
** Order a waterproof kid’s car seat protector: